What Successful teams do…
- Maintain a contact sprint length. Decided as common consensus by the scrum team & business/stakeholders.
- Plan to reach the goal can be inspected and adapted during the sprint (with just in time and just sufficient information)
- Focus on “Definition of Done”, “Quality” & Reduce risk early.
- Every sprint has a goal to focus on
- Increment the product after every sprint to inspect and adapt
- Team members are fixed and committed towards one goal “build winning product”
Myths that are associated with Sprint.
- Scrum doesn’t mention sprint has to be 2 weeks – this duration is very popular in the industry as appropriate time for inspecting and adapting.
- Sprint planning, sprint review and sprint retrospectives are outside sprint duration.
- Sprint is purely the product development time for team members and sprint activities are overhead
Sprint is a container measured in time units, that contains all sprint events. Scrum Recommends maximum of 30 days for sprint. Sustainable for product development and frequency of changes in product backlog. Fixed duration, no breaks and continuous. One can consider sprint similar to “days” there is a specific start and end, it houses all the events during the day and is continuous cycle.
There is no Sprint ZERO in scrum, it’s just continuous inspect and adapt. Product owner can cancel the sprint if the sprint goal is no longer useful towards the product vision and goals.